Friday, April 15, 2011

Painting Blind

"Down the Street"
6x6  Oil on Panel
$95
This was a demo for one of my students.  Trying to show how to simplify a complicated scene.  I got the bare essentials down and then she took the photo with her & leaving a painting unfinished drives me crazy.  So painting without reference photo & a scene I wasn't familiar with, I dove in.  Painting blind is an understatement.  I certainly challenged me in new ways...can't say that I didn't kinda like it.  I'm just grateful to have a little time back at the easel.  Happy day!

P.S. Sorry, not the greatest photo.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo...she's back! A fabulous piece.....most impressive....that street line and cars done without the reference photo.....you go girl!

Libby said...

Kelley, wow love this piece.

Jerry said...

Kelly, I love "Down the Street" You have given it such a hazy look which I just love. I have missed your posts.

Rod Wimer said...

Very NICE Kelley. Love it!

Catherine Jeffrey said...

I like the way this one turned out...blind or not! It just popped on my blog list, and I had to have a look. Nice atmosphere.

Dana Cooper said...

To finish this blindly shows your talent Kelley, well done@

Fay Terry said...

Kelley, this is great. Wonderful that you finished it without the photo and did not let theat stand in your way. Impressive work and very atmospheric.

carol morgan carmichael said...

This piece is beautiful! Great feel to the work.

mary maxam said...

I think this has the wonderful harmony of a primary color scheme and the feeling of having 'been there'.You've caught a really nice scene here.

Janet Bludau Fine Art said...

Love the atmosphere.

Becky Joy said...

You did a good job without the photo. Not an easy one to simplify.

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Great piece, Kelley. With or without a reference, you got the job done.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

SO glad to see you here! Yes, I GET it felt good to get 'back in the saddle'! I like the painting, too - and you've seen enough street scenes that you CAN paint it *blind* and be successful!

Stephen Washburn said...

Was just thinking about how simplifying is an art of seeing, and "painting blind" would be seeing in your mind. I think the two thought processes are related.