Monday, December 13, 2010

Pickled

"Pickle Ornament"
6x6 Oil on museum quality panel
$95 

An old Christmas eve tradition in Germany was to hide a pickle ornament deep in the branches of the Christmas Tree. The parents hung the pickle last after all the other ornaments were in place. In the morning the first child to find the ornament would receive an extra gift from St. Nicholas. The adult who finds the pickle traditionally gets good luck for a year.  My family tradition is a little different arising this summer over my niece's birthday.  A misunderstanding lead to her grandmother thinking she wanted a "pickle" for her birthday.  So this Christmas, she's getting a "pickle" ornament.  What's one of your traditions?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can top the "pickle" tradition. You did a great job rendering a pickle ornament...it might even be safe to say that there is no other pickle ornament painting out there? well done.

Kathy Cousart said...

I can't top the pickle tradition story or painting either. Both are wonderful. Love the painting:)

martinealison said...

Je ne connaissais pas cette tradition...
Ce petit cornichon peint fera-t-il partie de votre décoration de sapin?
Bisous

SUSAN RODEN said...

This little piece made me giggle Kelley - and then I dashed to find mine on my petite grapevine tree. (Whew - still there!) Never had a tradition, just love it.
Ever play pickle in the middle?

shirley fachilla said...

I, too, have a pickle ornament given to me by my mother-in-law.
I recognized it from your thumbnail!
I love your rendering with its great edges.

Dana Cooper said...

Fun painting Kelley! The pickle ornament will always be a funny reminder for the family of Grandmas's misunderstanding!

Gary Keimig said...

wonderful job, Kelly. It has a really amusing look to it that would put anyone in a joyful and dancing mood.

Kerri Settle said...

My husband's parents do this every year - it was great learning the background on it!