Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, a phone call from my landlord informing me that my building was being sold and torn down. Probably within 30-45 days. Well that seemed to help me make a decision. My bestie, who lives in CA, said (has been saying, I'd not been listening) move out here & start over. I've moved at least 3x every decade of my life (except this last one), so moving is in my blood. Leaving the baggage behind, starting fresh. I even managed to sell every piece of artwork before I left. No unfinished paintings shouting at me to fix them. A true beginning.
As an artist, both California & Russian Impressionists have been my inspirations. So I guess it was inevitable that I would some day land in California. Before I even arrive, I have 2 teaching opportunities lined up, as well as a one-day workshop booked. Seems the universe likes the direction I'm taking.
For my east coast friends, students & family, I've loved being close to you, sharing the good and bad times. I will truly miss you but it's time to try something different. Based on how many people are now planning trips to CA, it seems that I won't miss seeing you too much.
For my new West Coast friends, acquaintances & students, a couple of things about me.
- Most Southerners think I don't have a southern accent, you might think differently.
- Don't own or shoot guns
- I'm a city girl, so when my best friend informs me that she has recently sighted a rattlesnake, bobcat & is awaiting a visit from a big brown bear, there is a really good chance that you will hear some blood curdling screams from around the Altadena area. Might need to rethink the gun issue.
- No, I don't have a cement pond, swimming pools are now the rage in the south :)
- Sweetie or honey might slip into the conversation, a habit from my grandmother & great grandmother that I have never quite broken.
- Any faux pas I might make, it more likely to be attributed to me being blonde, not southern.
- Quick sense of humor is appreciated & I will try to reciprocate.
- Feel free to ask me any questions but be prepared for any answer
- Looking forward to embracing my new home but hopefully bringing a little southern to the mix
I hope you will follow my adventures. I can't wait to see how my art changes. The world is now laid out for me to grab hold of and embrace. See you on the road.