Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Playing with Knives - SOLD!

"Lone Tree"
 8x6

It's such fun to pull out my palette knife and paint away.  There's freedom that happens and not that the fundamentals aren't still necessary but you can get away with a bit more with palette knives.  It's a way of loosing up, not taking such a serious approach to painting.  I like to use palette knife paintings as studies for more serious works.  I find that once I've done a study, I sometimes lose interest in the larger piece but a palette knife study feels different.  Maybe it's because its such a different technique from how I usually paint. I have a couple of commission studies I need to work on, so you will be seeing a few "Playing with Knives" paintings.  Who knows, there maybe a series in the works.  


  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Playing with Knives" what a cool title and concept for a series. I can't wait to see what comes out of it. And I really like the "Lone Tree"...no surprise that it sold, and so quickly too!

Johanna Spinks said...

no surprise to me either...a soothing palette and subject. Delightfully done.

Kathy Weber said...

Nice use of greens in the tree!

Gwen Bell said...

I do love that texture! Really beautiful greens. And congrats on that sale!