Tuesday, August 31, 2010

At Month's End

"No White After Labor Day"
6x6    $95

Today's painting is for a monthly blog challenge to paint something that relates to September.  Not wearing white after Labor Day was a chant I always heard from my mom.  So painting white shoes was an obvious choice.  I didn't realize that I don't really wear white shoes until I went to find some to paint.  So while visiting a friend last week, I asked if she had any white shoes that I might photograph.  Despite my strange request, we went rummaging through she and her daughters' closets.  She also didn't have any white shoes either but I took pictures of some darling non-white sandals that I could possibly paint white.  Try as I might, it didn't work but I did manage to get a picture of her daughter's cute white sandal.  So Caroline, sorry your shoes didn't make the cut for this painting but no worries, I have plans for your non-white shoes. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you know what...I don't have white shoes either!! We should start a group. Love this sweet piece and the colors and shadowing! A very fitting painting for "September".

Karen Bruson said...

Great painting. Can't believe summer is ending.

SUSAN RODEN said...

How funny - since living in California, I forgot about the "whites". Such a big thing in Ohio while growing up and of course, I always was committing faux-pas by wearing white.

Lovely little sandal Kelley!

Catherine Jeffrey said...

Love the green background...reminds us that there is still lots of summer left! So, put on those flip flops and go to the beach!

Caroline Simas said...

Love it! even though my sandals didn't make it into this one...LOVE that apple green! Summer, please don't end!

Gwen Bell said...

Terrific job, Kelley! Love that bright blue shadow on the Summery green background.

Nan Johnson said...

Love the painting, love the title!

Mike Licht said...

Wearing white shoes after Labor Day may have serious consequences.

See http://bit.ly/bYMYXt