Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Go to Plan "B"

"In Full Bloom"
18 x12 (approx.)   oil on paper

Went to dinner at my favorite French restaurant last night (thanks,"V") and brought a chocolate almond croissant home to paint today.  Actually, I brought it for my Mom but I told her I had to paint it first.  So, first it was 98 degrees today, second, chocolate in croissant melted making mess, not very interesting to paint.  So time for  Plan B.  One of my students brought these beautiful flowers to try painting oil on paper.  I did a demo for them, since they hadn't painting on paper before.  And voila, here's the painting.  It was another fun exercise on this slick paper but I liked it.  Enjoy the bouquet! I'm going to drink a glass of wine and offer the croissant to my mom. 


12 comments:

Leslie Saeta said...

Oh my gosh! This is absolutely beautiful! I am so glad the croissant melted because this painting is really wonderful. Might be my favorite of yours!

Dreama Tolle Perry said...

Kelly--I am rolling with laughter. I just posted my painting and then noted the blog roll with your painting and it's name. Must have been something in the air today..or the wine. My post's name today? Plan A...Italy.
But back to the painting at hand--really, really nice. I'm am with Leslie on this one. Gorgeous!

SUSAN RODEN said...

Kelley did your Mom finally eat the croissant? (you know food is a big thing with me coming from a big family)
Wonderful floral painting - bright and lively with spontaneous strokes. Nice Kelley...

Unknown said...

Thanks,Susan. My mom did finally eat the croissant. But not before letting me know that it would have been totally wonderful if she could have eaten it "fresh". I don't understand "that" thinking. I've been eating my still life fruit days after I painted it.

Shirley Marshall said...

A gorgeous painting !

Dana Cooper said...

Your brushwork in this piece is stunning Kelley, I would have loved to watch you paint it!

kim Blair said...

I have to agree with Leslie and Dreama, today's "Plan B" is fabulous! Love the painterly mark making and the freshness of each brush stroke.
Kim

Anonymous said...

Kelley, this painting is just fantastic...and I can't wait to see more of these! What a great series this will make. The colors and the looseness in this are so refreshing! Well done!

Marian Fortunati said...

Really very beautiful... Good thing that chocolate melted!!
(Did you at least lick it off the wrapping???)

Soooooo do you have to use some special kind of paper??? Are there tricks we should know before trying to paint with oil on paper???

Unknown said...

Hi, Marian, Thanks so much. Not any tricks to painting on paper. Just good heavy, quality watercolor paper & at least coats of gesso. And no I didn't get to lick the chocolate of the wrapper. Bummer!

Gary Keimig said...

very nice painting. gret brush work, color and design. Good job, Kelly

Anonymous said...

just had to come back and take another look at this painting! love it!