Thursday, October 14, 2010

Clueless

"Hyacinth"
6x6   oil on museum quality panel
$95
This is one of the demos that I did this week for my students.  I've been trying to show how I start paintings with simple shapes and allowing the definition of the subject to come at the end of the painting.  I'm  much less concerned with kind of flowers these are and more about capturing my emotional reaction to the colors and shapes through the design and brushwork.  I think it's a good thing that I had no clue that these were Hyacinths because I might have been more likely to paint an exact replica.  Sometimes, clueless is a good thing.

15 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Wow. Double Wow! Whatever the subject, whatever the NAME of the flowers, this is a wonderful, joyful piece, that takes you for a dance around the flowers. Great painting!

bridget Hunter said...

Agree - this is a delightful small work. It captures the shapes/colours with deft brushstrokes making it lively.

Anonymous said...

Super double wow! Love it!

Debra Keirce said...

Very pretty...You do wonderful work.

mary maxam said...

what a great lesson in both shapes and a beautiful complimentary color scheme-nice

Dana Cooper said...

Love that reddish color peeking through balancing the blue and yellow...triple wow!!

Catherine Jeffrey said...

These are just beautiful...reaching for the sun...whatever they are :-)

Marian Fortunati said...

Beautiful!!!
I also think you have a dark reddish wash that you used to paint over... That just makes those lovely colors jump out!!

Kerri Settle said...

What a breath of fresh air! They bring a smile to my face.

MYSTELIOS said...

Really it is a very nice painting with lovely colours !!!!!!!!!!!

Carmen Beecher said...

How beautiful and painterly. Love the colors too.

martinealison said...

Beau contraste de couleurs... et si frais!

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Gorgeous!!! Bold and so refreshing!

Ruth Andre said...

Nice painting and a great demo. The colors are vibrant.

Gary Keimig said...

very nice Kelly. I really like the way you did this one.