Thursday, July 14, 2011

"A" at Play, # 4

"Mudhead, Amanda"
12x12   Oil on museum quality canvas
Reserved

While I knew that I would enjoy doing this series, I didn't quite realize the challenges that I would come up against.  As I started to paint this piece, I quickly encountered the "mudhead".   Mudhead is term coined by the painter, Charles Hawthorne.  He had his students paint models in bright sunlight with their faces in shadow.  Hence the term, mudheads.  One of my favorite artists, Frank Gardner, set himself a challenge of 100 Mudheads and created a blog about it.   Check it out, it's fascinating and wonderful work.  I, myself, am exhausted on the very first one.  Thanks again to my wonderful model, Amanda.  

P.S.  I also recommend Charles Hawthorne's book  "Hawthorne On Painting".  It's a collection of notes taken by his students offering sage advise.   If I could only remember everything he said, I'd be a fabulous artist. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, do I dare say.....my daughter is getting rendered exquisitely this summer. What a blessing to view these pieces. I love the way you captured her....muddy head and all :). The book is just perfect...the way the light is bouncing off it and little glints here and there off her. Well done, once again my friend!

Anonymous said...

simply perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOUR BELOVED MODEL AMANDA

Dana Cooper said...

The term Mudhead hardly seems to describe this lovely painting Kelley, but I am intrigued enough to go check it out, thanks!

Jerry Stocks said...

This a lovely painting, and thanks for the art lesson.

Fay Terry said...

Love these paintings of Amanda that you are doing, Kelley. Very interesting post.

SUSAN RODEN said...

Beautiful - model and painting! Nice Kelley. . .