Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Working With What You Got

"Nectarine & Carnations"
7x5     $95




Teaching 5 oil painting classes a week has offered big lessons for me almost every time.  It has helped reinforce the fundamentals as I paint, pushing me to paint either something I don't want to or paint when I don't necessarily feel like it.   Several of my classes have been painting only in gray scale all week.  I've done demos in gray scale, no problem.  Today might haven taken the cake.  When I went to the store on Monday to gather my fruit & flowers, the choices were not great but since it was to be painted in gray scale, I didn't concern myself with the color.  However, today I did a demo in color.  Let's just say that pink carnations, nectarines & a turquoise drape are a bit of a challenge to harmonize in a painting.  Maybe next week we'll paint donuts! Oh, and did I mention, I didn't have the panel size I really needed?

11 comments:

Rod Wimer said...

Very Nice Kelley!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I think it's gorgeous, as I said, but DO try donuts! FIVE classes a week? Crazy lady, YOU should be forgetting what day is it, not me. Although 5 days in a workweek, ... you'd be right on top of what day is was, wouldn't you?

Karen Bruson said...

Beautiful colors, brushstrokes and edges.

Darren love said...

Nice work! i like your brushwork..:)

Gwen Bell said...

Gorgeous color combos! The clear red of the Nectarine looks so great with the turquoise background and I love the way you picked up a bit of that bright red in the flowers. Brings the eye up and around wonderfully.

SUSAN RODEN said...

Donuts - can never go wrong! Always a wonderful subject matter (just as the Jelly queen proclaimed).

Love the subtle reflection Kelley.

Anonymous said...

great color composition....and the reflection...yaye! you really made it work wonderfully...I almost think you like challenges!!!

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Love the softness of the background, vase and carnations. I think all the best paintings have room for a beautiful gray. Great brushwork and edges and one beautiful nectarine.

Catherine Jeffrey said...

The painting really comes together with that vibrant red/orange that takes the eye around the painting. You pulled it off beautifully.

Janice said...

This one is lovely!

Stephen Parker said...

Love the chunks of milky color. Beautiful painting.