Thursday, March 8, 2012

Carefree Days


"Carefree Days"
6x6  Oil on canvas/board

At auction on DPW, click here to bid.

Last summer I did a series of my friend, Julie Hill's daughter as play.  See the paintings here, here & here.  Painting children can be fun and I've done more than my fair share of "sweet" kids paintings.  While exploring this subject, I wanted to focus much more of the joy of the kids "at play" and keep the "sappiness" to a minimum.  For me, the color palette will dictate whether I'm successful.   Any thoughts?

7 comments:

Jerry Stocks said...

Beautiful child and wonderful painting. The colors are great.

Dana Cooper said...

I love these moment in time kind of paintings Kelley, and this one is wonderful. Nice sense of atmosphere!

Anonymous said...

There you go again...dis'ing us "sappy" folks....just kidding. Well you nailed this one...no sappiness, just pure sweet joy of child at play, capturing the movement and even the unique character of a child mastering a fun skill.

Anonymous said...

P.S. forgot to say...Yes, you were very successful...awesome color choices!

martinealison said...

Il est bon de retrouver vos oeuvres après plus de 6 semaines d'absence... Je rentre tout juste des Philippines...
De la fraîcheur, de la sensibilité, du mouvement, de la lumière... de la joie de vivre...
Gros bisous

Dewberry Fine Art said...

Wonderful value shifts. Love the way you get it said.

Pam Holnback said...

Great job w. the simplification of shapes.