Thursday, March 15, 2012

Well, that was different

"Stand Tall, Study"
9x12  Oil on Linen/Board
$250

As I started the demo in class this morning, my brush swept across the support & well, I thought that was different.   I'm so used to knowing how my brush & paint will react on my support that I was shocked when the brushstroke didn't look or feel the same.  Awhile back I ordered a couple of sample boards with not my regular canvas attached.  This one had the Belgian Linen (lovely) but single primed.  I love painting on linen but this one just didn't hold my brushwork like my other support.  I like this painting but it  has a very different feel about it.  Live & learn.   Stepping out of your comfort zone is good, I just now know that single primed Belgian Linen probably won't live in my toolbox.  It's so important to be as knowledgeable about your "tools" as your skills. 




6 comments:

Kathy Collins said...

You may not be wild about the support, but you nailed it on this one. Love the tangerine reflections and arching neck.

Anonymous said...

Just so lovely and may I say...stately. Well done my friend!

Jerry Stocks said...

Love this!!!

SUSAN RODEN said...

Isn't that the truth, about knowing your tools. Regardless you captured the beautiful lighting of the scene Kelley! Lovely . . .

Carol DeMumbrum said...

Beautiful painting! I love the colors and composition. I am glad to hear you felt this way about the single primed. I tried it before and felt it had a different feel.

mary maxam said...

This is really lovely and that tangerine color has such a tropical feel. For me, I think the surface I paint on is probably of most importance, and is there anything better than new materials?