Sunday, March 4, 2012

The First Look

"Familiar View, Catalina"
6x6  Oil on museum quality board

At auction on DPW, click here to bid.

A few days ago, I talked about seeing the obvious subject to paint versus taking some time & finding a
different view.  Don't get me wrong, I love painting the Holly Hill House.  It's been a favorite class demo several times.  However, when I slowed down & really looked at what was in front of me, I found an equally, if not, more interesting vantage point, see here.   My students always comment that I'm able to pull so much out of one photo...so here's to really seeing not just looking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Catalina...love it, especially your use of color!!!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

You've been traveling! I love this painting, and now I want to go to Catalina , so it can also be a 'familiar view' to me, too. Learning to be an artist is learning to see, I agree.

Kim VanDerHoek said...

What a pretty spot and you painted Holly Hill House so beautifully. Nice work!