Friday, January 28, 2011

Weeds Be Gone

"Les Carottes"
6x12 Oil on Linen
Reserved

Ten minutes at Fresh Market, One bunch of carrots, Two hours at the easel.  If you've followed my blog, you are well aware of my passion for the produce section.  I ran into the store in hopes of finding inspiration and came out with the most beautiful carrots.  Too pretty to be called "carrots" so I decided that the french name "carotte" was more appropriate.  This painting is headed into a museum still life competition.  Eating carrots with fingers crossed.  I've included a photo of the carrots just to show how fresh & flawless my subject matter was. 


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolute perfection!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kathy. Started with a perfect subject.

Anonymous said...

These carrots are just depicted magnificently...if carrots could be magnificent that is..well, either way this painting is grand...and you are so right to aptly title it as you did. Hurray for you to come tearing out of the weeds!

Jerry Stocks said...

These carrots are so realistic I could eat one--great job.

Gwen Bell said...

Great color combo! Love that bright blue shadow under the orange carrots. Delicious!

Catherine Jeffrey said...

That orange stands out great against the soft blue. Makes me think of fresh garden vegetables while I look out at the snow.

mary maxam said...

I like seeing the set up photo here, and they are painted so crisply, I can hear the snap!

martinealison said...

Les carottes fanes donnent tellement envie qu'on les croque ! et elles sentent bons le printemps...
Belle peinture. Bisous

Karen Bruson said...

Great job. Love the format. Wonderful application of paint.

Becky Joy said...

great colors. they do look fresh. Nice job Kelley

Liza Hirst said...

Love it! The colour combination and the delicacy of the painting are perfect!

Denise Rose said...

I LOVE Fresh Market! Now that I have started painting still life, I stand in the produce section and stare! They are always asking me if they can help me. haha! They don't know I am looking for something to paint and not cook! When I get brave I will buy a bunch of these carrots. Just beautiful!

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Perfection, Kelley. Hope you blow them away at the museum!