Saturday, July 17, 2010

Out of Brushes


"Orange Daisies"
10x10  oil on canvas

Not painting at my studio always presents challenges.  I had to paint at home today so that meant working under less than ideal conditions.  I never have all the paints I need, lucky if I have canvas and today out of brushes with the exception of 2 caked with paint brushes because my "assistant" didn't wash them.  But I was determined to paint something and in the end I had to step out of my comfort zone and use what was at hand.  So between paper towel, my palette knife and the less than desirable brushes, I painted with thicker paint and somewhat less control.  All in All, a good thing.   But before I hit the easel in the morning, I will have had a talk with myself assistant about the proper care of brushes. 

7 comments:

Linda Popple said...

This is lovely! Your color palette is fantastic and I like seeing your brushstrokes. Well done!

Dana Cooper said...

You just can't get good assistants these days! The results however are really wonderful!

Leslie Saeta said...

The painting is lovely and I have to say ... welcome to the world of palette knife paintings! It is fun, eh? And it might be time to fire your assistant. I am having problems with mine too .... tee hee!

Dreama Tolle Perry said...

How juicy is this piece! I am thinking you need to work with crappy brushes on a regular basis. Hey, I have some I will send you. My studio assitant did the same thing as yours..:)

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of my very favorites of yours....the way you do flowers is an inspiration to me. love the colors and lights in this piece too!.....

Unknown said...

Lovely painting...love the colors and loose fresh style. I have the same trouble with my assistant!

Stephen Parker said...

Wonderful piece, Kelly. The broad value range and just the few areas of pure color balance things beautifully.