Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Give me a knife



"Apple, Deconstructed"
2 6x6 museum quality panels
$95 each

When I started my painting for the Daily Paintworks Challenge, little did I know that the painting would be the least of my issues.  This week was a Ten Minute Challenge.  Choosing one subject & setting the timer for 10 minutes for each 3" piece.  While I stuck within the one subject challenge, I decided to tweak it a bit by "deconstructing" my apple as I went.  Some of the paintings look a slight "askew" because I had the most dull knife at the studio.  Deconstructing took on the look of destroying about half way through.  By the last painting, I had hacked the apple to the point that I had to tape the bottom of the core (see photo below for my lovely knife work) & then use the roll of tape to keep it upright.  I really enjoyed this challenge and it's now going to be an exercise for my students.  Hope you will check out the other challenge paintings at Daily Paintworks Challenge . 



                       

13 comments:

Robyn said...

I love this!!

Anonymous said...

Kelley....what a wonderful take on the challenge....loving the colors and all the fun shapes you made with your dull knife.....oh perhaps maybe if you didn't use the palette knife, it may have worked a bit better. :)

Unknown said...

FYI Julie, I used a real knife to cut the apple, not a palette knife. But I have to admit, it does look like it.

Kristin said...

I love this series... it's very original!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

You are too funny! I love the tape! These look great - I really like the whole 'deconstructing' thing! Well painted, too!

Dana Cooper said...

Great interpretation of the challenge Kelley. Your knife just added interesting shape to a traditional subject.

carol morgan carmichael said...

When I first saw the small thumbnail I thought you had carved the apple into a snowman. Then I put on my reading glasses and saw that it was a core. Love you take on the challenge. Such a great exercise.

Jeff Sanford said...

Cool Kel!!

Linda Nickles said...

When I first saw your thumbnail, I thought you had eaten your way through the challenge! haha.
I like this . . . very clever!

Dewberry Fine Art said...

When a challenge tells a story. Well done.

Debbie said...

A great idea to cut the apple up as you went. I also love watching your progress with bolder color with each one.

Claudia Hammer a Painting a day said...

I like the way the apple transformed into a core. Great job!

Stephanie Berry said...

This is great how you did this--the dimishing apple. Very nice.