Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Love ya, get out!

"Studying Tomatoes"

Sometimes you have to go back in order to go forward.  Today was my last day of teaching art classes until September.  I'm lucky enough to have a great group of funny, sweet & talented students.  I didn't think I would be sad to see them go but I was (sorta).  Some I will see over the summer with workshops but will miss the weekly laughter & "ah ha" moments.  As the last group departed today, I thought I love ya but GET OUT!  It's time for your teacher & you to spend some "alone" time at the easel.  See what developes, experiment, see what trouble you can get into & hopefully work yourself out of it.  I know you can do it.  The painting posted today was one that I did as a class demo last fall.  I'm going to take a two week break and revisit some familiar subjects that I painted over the last 9 months in a different manner.   So to all my wonderful students, don't call me until July 12th!  Now go paint!!!!!

7 comments:

Johanna Spinks said...

Great to do this. I am kinda in that mode myself. Explore...enjoy...just paint. I have a two week break from teaching right now and it DOES free up time! I love your tomatoes. Loose and lively. It will be interesting to see what you re-visit.

Anonymous said...

I just know you are a fabulous teacher...what a blessing these students have in you. Breaks are much needed for EVERYONE...can't wait to see what come out this summer.

Dana Cooper said...

Wonderful study, I love your limited but very intentional strokes!

martinealison said...

You're right it's important to take some vacation too.
You'll be able to try out new ideas before coming back...
I want to bite into yours cherries...
Kisses

Kim Rempel said...

LOVE this one Kelley! It has a fresh feel : )

Linda Popple said...

I like the sketchy look in this painting. Have a nice break and hope you will post what you worked on.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Nice brushwork and color harmony. Love the reds.